The consulting world can be quite daunting. There is a lot to think about and not everyone has the drive or motivation to succeed as a consultant. So, where do you begin?
In this article, we will discuss:
- What is consulting?
- The types of consulting.
- What makes a great consultant?
- The benefits of consulting and why you should become a consultant.
- How to start consulting on Josari.
What is consulting?
Consulting in a general sense is the business of providing expert advice to other individuals and professionals. Consultants are very knowledgeable in a particular area and enjoy sharing their knowledge with others.
Companies and individuals often engage a consultant to get their expert opinion on a certain subject. One example may be a small business owner who is seeking professional legal advice from a legal consultant. There are numerous types of consultants. A few are listed below.
Types of consultants
Typically, when someone thinks of a consultant, they think of a professional in either the accounting, finance or legal industry. However, anyone knowledgeable in a particular area can become a consultant. You may be a software engineer, stock trader, animal trainer or health nutritionist – the list is endless. Platforms such as Josari allow individuals with a particular field of expertise to become consultants. Advisers on the Josari platform can include:
Need to speak with one of these advisers? Download Josari on the App Store.
Do I need qualifications to be a consultant?
In some industries, it is necessary to have tertiary qualifications to be a consultant. Having tertiary qualifications highlights you have the education and capability to provide professional advice. Some industries where tertiary qualifications are necessary include accounting, legal and finance.
However, in other industries, tertiary qualifications may not be required. As long as you can provide expert advice and have the ability to help people solve problems, you can be a consultant. This may include pet trainers, gaming professionals or even social media experts.
What makes a great consultant?
A great consultant is someone who can provide trustworthy information and insights in order to achieve a desirable outcome. Great consultants possess characteristics and interpersonal skills such as:
- Effective Communication
The benefits of consulting
Becoming a consultant gives you plenty of opportunities to grow, learn and progress as a professional. Consultants are experts in a specific field and they should be improving and acquiring new knowledge every day. Therefore, the best way to improve is to teach others.
Being a consultant, you not only help others, but you also help yourself become a better version of you. Besides, consultants can enjoy the benefits of self-employment. There are numerous benefits when it comes to consulting, including freedom, flexibility, prestige and the ability to help others.
- You can choose who to work with and how much time you are willing to invest in a client.
- work independently and decide the best solution for each project on your own.
- You create your own schedule as a consultant and can work in your time off. This allows you to take care of family responsibilities, set your own holidays etc. You have the power to develop the balance you need between your work and personal life.
- You will become an influential thought leader.
- You can expand your reach and build reputation with word of mouth.
- You are able to help people with important issues such as project, business and career decisions.
How do I sign up as a consultant with Josari?
Are you looking to kick-start your life as a consultant? Download Josari and create a free service profile. You can advertise your services for free, generate additional income on your terms and help individuals across Australia.
When setting up your profile, remember to add additional information such as availability hours and a custom profile image to drum-up more exposure and increase your chances of receiving more customers. With Josari, you can set your own schedule, increase your professional exposure and get paid for your knowledge and experience!
For more information about Josari, click here.
A quick recap
- Consulting is the business of providing expert advice to other individuals and professionals.
- There is no limit when it comes to the types of experts that can become consultants.
- Great consultants are professionals who can provide trustworthy information and insights in order to achieve a desirable outcome.
- Consultants possess characteristics such as confidence, patience, creativity, effective communication and trustworthiness.
- The benefits of consulting include freedom, flexibility, prestige and the ability to help others.
Do you have what it takes to be an adviser on the Josari platform? Download Josari on the App Store and get started now.